About The Bangladesh Accord
The aim of the Bangladesh Accord is to make the Ready-made garments sector in Bangladesh safe and sustainable, where no worker needs to fear fires, building collapses or other accidents that could be prevented with reasonable safety and health measures.
The Accord was established in 2013 as an independent, legally binding agreement between apparel brands and retailers and trade unions. It was formed in the immediate aftermath of the Rana Plaza building collapse that led to the death of more than 1100 people and injured more than 2000. The agreement was renewed in June 2017 with a successor agreement known as the Transition Accord. The Transition Accord will enter into effect in May 2018 and is set to expire on 31 May 2021, unless a joint monitoring committee (comprised of Accord company signatories, Accord trade union signatories, BGMEA, ILO and the Bangladesh government) unanimously agrees that a set of rigorous conditions for a handover to a national regulatory body have been met prior to 31 May 2021.
This maternity cover position of Head of Signatory Engagement is a great opportunity to work closely with a wide network of signatories to implement the Accord.
The Head of Signatory Engagement is responsible for supporting company, labour and witness signatories to implement the Accord terms effectively. The Head of Signatory Engagement is also responsible for coordinating the Steering Committee and contributing to the development of Accord policies and protocols. The Head of Signatory Engagement is responsible for ensuring clear and relevant communication with all signatories.
In this role you will:
• Provide guidance and support for signatories to understand and implement Accord requirements.
• Keep signatories informed of Accord policy and operational developments through regular communications and via the signatories’ website.
• Facilitate events for signatories to update on Accord programme developments.
• Ensure signatories have access to all relevant data for monitoring Accord obligations.
• Provide periodic reports to the Steering Committee.
• Coordinate the Steering Committee meetings and sub-committees.
• Contribute to strategy & policy development for effective Accord implementation.
• Serve as line manager of Research Assistant.
The Head of Signatory Engagement reports to the Executive Director.
Skills & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 7 years of relevant work experience
• Experience working in global supply chains and/or multinational corporations
• In-depth understanding of labour standards and industry codes of conduct
• Problem solving and decision making in the context of corporate responsibility
• Excellent written and public presentation skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Commitment to the goals of the Accord
• Knowledge of occupational health & safety
• Experience working with Bangladesh clothing industry
The Accord offers a competitive salary dependent on experience. This position is offered as a fixed term employment contract for a period of up to 12 months from June 2018. The position is based in the Accord Amsterdam Office and will be expected to travel to Dhaka approximately twice a year. Working hours are 37.5 hours a week.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in and suitability for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Friday, 20 April 2018, 5pm CET.
Interviews: Shortlisted candidates will be invited for initial interview to be held w/c 23rd April 2018.
For more information, please visit www.bangladeshaccord.org
Download the vacancy here