About The Bangladesh Accord
The aim of the Bangladesh Accord is to make the Ready-made garments sector in Bangladesh safe and sustainable, where no worker needs to fear fires, building collapses or other accidents that could be prevented with reasonable safety and health measures.
The Accord was established in 2013 as an independent, legally binding agreement between apparel brands and retailers and trade unions. It was formed in the immediate aftermath of the Rana Plaza building collapse that led to the death of more than 1100 people and injured more than 2000. The agreement was renewed in June 2017 with a successor agreement known as the Transition Accord. The Transition Accord will enter into effect in May 2018 and is set to expire on 31 May 2021, unless a joint monitoring committee (comprised of Accord company signatories, Accord trade union signatories, BGMEA, ILO and the Bangladesh government) unanimously agrees that a set of rigorous conditions for a handover to a national regulatory body have been met prior to 31 May 2021.
This new position of Operations Manager is a great opportunity to join an unprecedented initiative and play a key role in shaping the systems which underpin effective Accord implementation.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for ensuring standard operating procedures across the Accord are implemented effectively so that Accord protocols are consistently applied.
Accord protocols are agreed by the Steering Committee and outline principles for Accord activities, including: inspections, remediation, escalation for non-compliance, training and handling worker complaints. The initial priority for the Operations Manager will be inspections, remediation, and escalations procedures.
In this role you will:
• Develop and implement operating procedures for inspections, design and Detailed Engineering Assessment reviews, and escalations.
• Evaluate effectiveness of operating procedures across departments
• Set and monitor performance targets across all departments, in consultation with the executive
• Troubleshoot procedural challenges with departmental managers
• Evaluate and propose responses to staff or signatories’ operational concerns
• Develop strategies with department managers to strengthen operating procedures
• Plan and implement operational changes as agreed by the Accord executive team
• Produce internal reports on performance of Accord operations for the Accord executive team
The Operations Manager will report to the Deputy Director for Implementation and work closely with the teams in Bangladesh and Amsterdam.
Skills & Experience
Proven track record in managing operations in the commercial or non-profit sector
• Planning, prioritisation and delegation skills
• A strategic mindset with experience of implementing change
• Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organisation
• Proficient IT skills (databases, MS Office etc)
• Excellent attention to detail and analysis skills
• Relevant degree in operations management or related field
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Commitment to the goals of the Accord
• Experience working with remote teams
• Understanding of global supply chains
• Understanding of labour standards and/or occupational health & safety
The Accord offers a competitive salary dependent on experience. This position is offered as a permanent employment contract, subject to successful completion of a probation period. The position will be based preferably in the Accord Dhaka Office with the possibility of being based in the Amsterdam Office. Regular travel between offices (5-6 times per year) will be required.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in and suitability for this position to
Application deadline: Friday, 20 April 2018, 5pm CET.
Interviews: Shortlisted candidates will be invited for initial interview to be held w/c 23rd April 2018.
For more information, please visit www.bangladeshaccord.org
Download the vacancy here